Thursday, April 16, 2009

Voice of God

I haven't written for a few days because I am in the process of putting together my artist's statement. But I wanted to take a break from that and post my thanks to the spiritual forces that (virtually) introduced me to the singing sensation Susan Boyle. For those not familiar with Susan Boyle, she auditioned for the show "Britain's Got Talent" last Saturday night. Boyle is described by CNN in this way,

"Slightly plump and with short brown curly hair, Boyle stood somewhat uncomfortably in the middle of the stage wearing a gold lace sheath. She told the judges and the audience of the show that she was single, she lived with her cat, Pebbles, and she had never been kissed."

The CNN reporter also described that when she came out on stage, the three judges, one of whom was Simon Cowell, snickered and members of the audience rolled their eyes as she explained that she wanted to be a professional singer like Elaine Paige, who is a famous singer in the UK. I, myself, was brought back to that horrible place in my youth where I was just waiting to be judged by those critics in my life who could not wait for me to fail yet one more time.

But then, Susan Boyle started singing "I Dreamed the Dream" from "Les Miserables" and from the first note she had not only the snickering judges, but the entire eye-rolling audience, totally mesmorized with her voice. I love when God seeps into our every day lives and teaches us that life is so much more than the way we look and behave, especially when we do not conform to society norms. I am left with the image of Simon Cowell, sighing with contentment, with a spark in his eye that signaled that he was listening to the voice of an angel.

Afterthoughts:
I wonder if there exists within me, the capacity to communicate a visual expression that is as majestic as Susan Boyle's voice. If not, I wonder what my contribution should be to the art world.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen many link to a video lately, I think it's this performance...it seems to have moved a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had tears in my eyes. Especially after Simon asked her why she had not succeeded until now, and she said that she had never had a chance. Then she gave it her all, and won over all those people! what an inspiration.
    And Lori, I think you have something equally wonderful inside of you.

    ReplyDelete